08 January 2006

I really am rubbish at updating...

Not that there's been anything hugely interesting in my life.

I've exams week after next, and they're pretty crucial as third year modules are double weighted, and thus are worth more, and the difference between me getting an upper or lower second. I've made a start to my revision, especially on my archaeology module which carries more credits than my Long 18th Century course.

I'm focusing on hillforts, oppida and trade, and on the Beaker phenomenon in my archaeology module. I'm also thinking of covering burial practices in the Bronze and Iron Ages just in case. I hope to do well as I need to pull up my abysmal showing with my last essay - teaches me to hand it in late! The Long 18th Century module is more difficult to organise revision sessions for as I haven't got my essay back - so I don't know if it is good enough to base my notes on, and I need to make my mind up fast as to what to study for my second question. I'm tempted to study 18th century novels, but such a subject can be tricky for me as I find 'arty' questions hard to get a handle on as art is so subjective. I may well end up with doing demographics or economics as I seem to have a better grasp on such subjects.

I also need to make a decision soon over what to do with my future. Shall I go on and do a Masters course in either Historical Building Conservation (or something else in a similar field), do a conversion course in Building Surveying (Building Surveyors are much in demand at the moment, and the money is very good), or go and get a job straightaway? The Masters and the conversion course require more money which I don't have, but there is a decent chance of landing a good and interesting job afterwards - though a Historic Buildings Inspector doesn't earn much money despite there being a national shortage! Or I could get a graduate job in a discipline that pays well but runs the risk of not being what I really want to do for a career. Really I need some work experience as a surveyor or as an inspector to see whether I'd be happy to take on either of these jobs. Tempus Fugit though, as admission to courses will no doubt close soon, and especially when it comes to earnings!

I'm also considering moving to the West Country as London and the South-East are prohibitively expensive places to live in, and that I'm not all that fond of cities either. The thought of living in such a sprawling city as London is abhorrent, yet living where I grew up is not cheap either, especially when factoring in the cost of commuting. Living in the South-West wouldn't be too bad as I've family there, and it's not too far from my parents and brother either - unlike Aberystwyth - which may as well be on the moon as far as my family are concerned. Visits? What visits? The parents will come to my graduation though.

Been a long day - and so to bed. :o)

1 Comments:

At 10:52 pm, Blogger LouiSurfer said...

I'm glad I don't have to make those life decisions any longer. I recall being at that age and others having to make those tough "what about my future?" questions. I knew what I wanted as a career when I was 17 and went head-down, eyes closed in that direction...and I've been successful. Very few people are lucky enough to do what they love. If you aren't one of those, then do something that'll make you money, which will allow you to do things you love outside your day job :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home